How exactly to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
How exactly to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank when it comes to previous letter OR apologize for not writing before, a couple of questions regarding family or friends. (1 short paragraph) — Informal letters to strangers: good reason why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the information and knowledge which you have already been told, express your interest to learn more about that which was previously mentioned. Make positive comments, respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with a few questions so the receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (a few words) You might use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO BEGIN A LETTER • Thank you for the letter. It absolutely was great to listen to away from you. How’s your new baby? • Thanks for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry We haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been really busy lately. So that you bought a house that is new! How will it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • Lots of love, • Cheers! Take it easy! • Best wishes, • all of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, college essay writers Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO END A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, i have got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and inform me that which you’ve been doing. • I look ahead to seeing you soon. Many thanks ahead of time for your help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you find attractive my country. As the friend said, i would like us to email one another to aid me enhance your English. 3. Let me begin by telling you a little about myself and my children. My name’s Ivo and I are now living in Kutna Hora, which can be about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to operate for a medical company but now I am learning how to be a salesperson. In the foreseeable future I want a working job where i could travel for might work. I have already been to a few places in Europe but I have never gone to an country that is english-speaking. I live acquainted with my parents, which will be convenient, when I don’t have to do much housework and my meals are cooked for me personally. My younger brother is their studies at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we log on to quite nicely. We both enjoy snowboarding and music. 4. What about you? Have you ever gone to the Czech Republic? It would be great if you could come over 1 day so we could fix up a meeting. Why don’t you let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, i have to go and get on with might work! Looking forward to hearing away from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it may concern, 2. START A LETTER State the Reason why you are writing. (1 paragraph that is short 3. BODY Answer the info which you have already been told. Give factual statements about the presssing issue you may be currently talking about. Respond the duty references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what would you like to get because of this or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in exchange). Leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (look forward to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) may very well not use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE INFORMATION Firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / Last but not least 5. TO GET RID OF A LETTER I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to try to get the position of . that I saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 yrs . old and at the minute I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for over seven years I am a fluent speaker associated with language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both French and German. In terms of experience is worried, We have worked as . for . As for my personality, people tell me I am . 4. I feel I would be suited to this job because I. . This can give me the opportunity to ….. . I would also like the opportunity to. 5. I look ahead to hearing away from you. 6. yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales
11. FCE ESSAY BEFORE YOU START Think of an answer to the Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage some time. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHENEVER YOU FINISH make certain you have expressed yourself clearly. Check your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and sophisticated vocabulary Use conditional sentences and all PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION AT THE END, NOT at the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 about the topic in general. • have a sentence telling your reader perhaps the essay will have a look at once or both sides of the issue. • have a question/idea which you will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • begin with :: In conclusion” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a summary of your points that are main. • have a reference towards the original question (try to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • haven’t any new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people write on 10-12 words per line. • you must write an overall total of 190 words, therefore you should come up with 18 lines in total. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) In CONCLUSION, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (PROS AND CONS). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE PROSPECTIVE
16. TASK 3: a. Write the draft that is first of essay in an item of paper. (10 min) b. Look at your partner’s First draft.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you have been technology that is discussing. Now, your English teacher has asked one to write an essay. Write an essay using all the notes and present reasons behind your point of view. You need to write your answer in 140-190 words in an style that is appropriate. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes Write about: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your own idea